Thursday 1 September 2016

The Dutch.

It's very easy to fall in love with the architecture, flower decor and canals of Amsterdam. The thing i have learnt the most about my time here is that these people are very calm. There isn't an endless rush, people take their time. Calm and complexed most of the time wearing a smile. The english expectations mean nothing here. Amsterdam is the total opposite of London. You rarely get sad faces wondering around the big smoke, just happiness spread everywhere riding bicycles taking their time and most of all not living to work. They enjoy their food, cycling around with such elegance. The supermarkets are full of fresh foods, delicious big salads, fruit boxes and so many olives / picky bits that you can easily realise why they look so much thinner than the British. The fact they have half a shelf for crisps and a whole isle for nuts. The daily exercise cycling everywhere, to the timekeeping and calm aura. I haven't seen anyone so far visually depressed with their heads down and miserable. Everyone is slow, pacing and surrounded by such a calm nature it's mesmerising. It's made me think a lot about my own life back home in the UK. What I can do to adapt and become better, happier and introduce some of the dutch ways into my own life. Firstly, being here i've realised I honestly eat too much junk. It's easier to walk into Tesco with £5 and buy some processed ready meal and some snacks than buy individual ingredients. I love fresh food, however it's just plain laziness and convenience. My life fly's by so fast sometimes that I forget to take it slow and just enjoy my time. Do things that make you smile, appreciate what you have and forget the worries.




- Note: I wrote this in back in July whilst lay on the green of Vondelpark.

No comments:

Post a Comment